We are planning to visit Tokyo in July.
My Boys (1, 11, 14) love Japanese Anime and Japanese Art.
Can you recommend special things to do with teens in Tokyo?
We would also like to visit Kyoto. Is one night enough? 2 nights?
Can we take the bullet train from Tokyo and get off at Kyoto? Can we purchase a round ticket to go back?
Thank you. Your website has been so helpful.
Amie (Delray Beach Florida)
Reply To – Things To Do In Tokyo For Kids
You’re asking about Tokyo Children Attractions, and which Japanese tourist Attractions suit your teenagers.
There’s so much to do in Japan and Tokyo with kids.
- Disneyland Tokyo wins as one of the best Japanese tourist locations for kids. Here’s a link on How to buy cheap tickets to Tokyo Disneyland resort.
- Your Teens will be fascinated by Japanese Cosplay. Harajuku Cosplay girls dress like Gothic Lolitas, French Maids and Hello Kitty.This is a favorite Sunday pass-time in Tokyo.
- Your teens will probably enjoy Sumo. Sumo is the national sport in Japan. Japanese Sumo Wrestling is a very ‘Cool’ sport, and something to tell their friends back home.
- Sony Building in Ginza for Japan’s latest cameras, high definition TVs , computers and other Cool gadgets.
- Kiddy-Land is a great store, located in a small alley (Cat street) off Omotesando street, across the road from Omotasando Hills. Three floors of Hello Kitty, Puca and other brands on everything from lunch boxes and towels to mouse pads and notebooks. Japanese teens just love it. Heaps of the stuff that Japanese girls love to call “kawai” – cute.
- Taking the Shinkansen (Bullet train) that speeds at 200 km per hour is a great idea. The trip to Kyoto is very exciting (you will also see Mt Fuji on the way).
- Speaking of Kyoto – it’s a very spread out city and there’s lots to see. To make the most of your short Trip, I would strongly recommend taking a Kyoto Tour from Tokyo. It will save you precious Time and Money.
- You mentioned your teens love Japanese Anime. Studio Ghibli Museum, is also called the Disney Of The East. The famous Studio has created many of the world known Japanese Animation movies.
Recommended Tours for Families:
Day Tour 1 in Tokyo: Best of Tokyo
Day Tour 2 in Tokyo: Highlights
Day Tour 1 in Kyoto: The Best of Kyoto
Day Tour 2 in Kyoto: Cherry Blossoms, Shrines and Geisha
Nara Day tour
Nikko Day tour
Hakone Day tour
Kamakura and Yokohama Day tour
Have you seen this page on Family Friendly Hotels in Tokyo?
See this page for more things to do in Japan for kids.
I hope you Enjoy your stay,Amie.